UPDATE: This has been patched over a month ago, but to check out the most current up-to-date Wizard builds visit our Wizard build page (feat. Arcane Orb/Venom Hydra, Blizzard/Hydra, gearing 1H vs. 2H etc.).
Recently there’s been quite a lot of hubbub about a new Wizard build, using 0 vitality, that makes it the best tank in Inferno Difficulty. To any somewhat seasoned Diablo 3 player this makes no sense. Vitality is the attribute that gives you life and thus makes you a better tank, but for this build that is not the case. At Diablo 3 Strategy Guide we’ve done the research, and we’re going to reveal and explain the SECRETS to this brand new build so that you can destroy and dominate mobs faster than everyone else in Inferno with your Wizard.
To properly unlock this build you must be at least level 54. This build is especially effective and invulnerable to boss monsters or mobs that deal high raw damage, but attack very slowly.
- High Base Damage - Do everything you can to get your base damage (from your weapon) and attack speed as high as possible.
- High Intelligence - High Intelligence = High DPS. Who loves killing mobs super fast? I do!!! Get intelligence as high as you can.
- 0 Vitality (or close) - The less vitality you have, the better this build and the more invulnerable you will be. Doesn’t make sense? We’ll explain.
- Energy Armor - Using the Force Armor Rune. Force Armor is the key. This makes it so no matter the damage of a monster, it can only do maximum 35% of your life. This works really well against high damage per shot mobs even without using this build. But using a 0 Vitality build exploits and uses Energy Armor to it’s full potential. You must be level 54 to unlock Force Armor.
- Galvanizing Ward - This is a passive skill unlocked at level 40 that increases the duration of your armor skills (Energy Armor in this case) and more importantly gives you 310 Life Regen/second if your armor spell is activated. How much is 310 Life a second, if your vitality is almost nothing? A TON of your overall life (or a huge %).
- Diamond Skin - While the other two are the core skills in this build, Diamond Skin helps immensely. Energy Armor will also work for diamond skin, making you an even stronger tank. This is unlocked at level 8.
- Magic Weapon - Using the Force Weapon Rune. This skill increases your DPS. You must be level 35 to unlock the Force Weapon Rune.
- Your killing spell of choice. The wizard has no shortage of damage dealing spells, choose the one you like the best and laugh at your foes trying to cut you down!
There is a strong chance Blizzard will patch this very soon. At D3SG we recommend you start using this kickass Wizard build ASAP and start grinding out mobs with high DPS and sick magic find.
UPDATE: 5/23 – Blizzard has now patched this build. There’s no official word yet on how Energy Armor now works. Will update later.
UPDATE: Blizzard’s official response and commentary covered in our hotfixes post.