The most pure spellcaster in the game the Wizard is similar to the Sorceress and uses entirely ranged magical attacks to stay alive. Modeled off a fictionalized Asiatic civilization, the Wizard is an exotic and powerful being. Correctly used, the Wizard can kill critters at unbeatable rates as a solo character and as a part of a larger party. Ideally paired with a powerful tank (Barbarian) the Wizard is pure DPS and can be optimized to kill small packs of monsters extremely quickly as well as Diablo himself. In this section, we’ll tell you why you should choose the sickest character class in the game and how to dominate with the Wizard.
How to Make the Sorceress from Diablo 2 look like the Little Mermaid
Headstrong and unhinged, the Wizard is a class for people who like crazy fast action and offensive gameplay. Wizards accumulates arcane energy and unleash the magical fury in pure elemental power. Clearly modeled off the Sorceress in Diablo 2, correctly used the Wizard will be pure magical dominance and a great force to be reckoned with both in the wild world of Act 4 Inferno as well as in PvP. Wizards should use a mixture of skills designed to gain arcane energy and more powerful skills used to destroy energy. Against lesser foes, the wizard should use primary skills to accumulate energy before unleashing it on will on powerful boss monsters. Take a look at our active and passive skills sections for an idea of what you’ll be using if you select the Diablo 3 Wizard.
Don’t worry, you will be over 9000 times cooler than this guy.
In the Wizard’s case, offense is often the best defense and active skills are the total backbone of the class. Similar to the Sorceress of Diablo 2, with properly optimized skills and quick reflexes the Wizard is the most powerful class in the entire game. But improperly used, with poor active skill choices the Wizard will need more than a viagra pill to make it effective. The Wizard accumulates Arcane Power by using Primary Skills and then spends it on other abilities. After that, it can use the more powerful other skills to send enemies into the netherworld. Here’s a sampling of some of the best Wizard skills. Consider buying our premium Diablo 3 Strategy Guide eBook, which tells you exactly how to optimize your Wizard, and license her to kill.
- Electrocute – This is a signature spell and is not as powerful as some of the Wizard’s other spells, but can be used infinitely and helps to generate the ever-important Arcane Power. Lightning deals 80% damage, which then jumps and shocks two more targets.
- Disintegrate – Shooting out a powerful red-beam more powerful than cyclops, albeit without the shades, disintegrate is the perfect example of a Wizard spell. Dealing 155% weapon damage, Disintegrate will make foes wish they were in X-Men 3 facing cyclops as you help keep the children warm at the fireplace.
- Teleport – Back from the sorceress, this is for the badass impatient ADHD riddled kids of the world. Sadly, I belong in this special group and LOVE this spell. Other classes gotta wait to get through the level, but the Wizard can teleport through quicker than Usain Bolt running the 100 meter. I bet every girl in a horror movie wishes she were lucky enough to be a Wizard, so she could teleport away from that stupid asthmatic serial killer.
- Explosive Blast – Did someone say crowd control? This spell is self-explanatory.
In addition, to your active skills we also optimize passive skills in order to fully maximize our character potential. Misplacing even one passive skill can be the difference between absolute 110% dominance and nerd tears.
- Evocation – Simple, but effective and unlocked early at just level 13. If you’re like me you want to zap, destroy and kill everything in the blink of an eye. Reducing cooldowns by 15% makes waiting around less annoying and instead you can click to your hearts content. Clickety clack, clickety clack that’s the sound of my mouse pwning the living daylight out of everything within the screen.
- Temporal Flux – When multiple monsters in hell and inferno difficulty are charging at you, you’re going to need something to slow them down. Temporal Flux is just that, slowing enemies down by 30% when they’re struck by you. Who needs armor, when your enemies are as impotent as ice cubes.
Items and Equipment
In Diablo 2, the Sorceress didn’t require extreme equipment to get insane DPS and kill without mercy if you had the lightning quick APM and reflexes necessary. Blizzard has changed this, and items have become more important than ever for the Wizard. In Diablo 3, Wizard’s wield orbs, sticks that channel arcane energy to demolish critters and noobs alike. Here’s a sampling of some of the sickest loot that you can get from grinding Inferno difficulty for sick ass items.
- Storm Crow – This hat might look like some stylish dreads hanging off your Asian head, but it packs some serious PWNAGE and DESTRUCTION. +84-89 to four different primary attributes, as well as earning you the ever important Arcane Power.
- Singularity – This orb, carried on the off-hand sparkles with radiance and badassery. If you thought Merlin was powerful and intelligent, just wait til you get the Singularity, this piece of equipment can give over +100 to intelligence. Why take the SATs and go to Harvard when you can just get the Singularity and be 10x smarter, instantly.
- Starfire – What would the Wizard be without a wand to wave and destroy horde after horde. The Starfire is unlocked at just level 26, but don’t be mislead as it packs a serious punch. With +damage, +intelligence, and additional cooling properties, you’ll never have to go back to chemistry class again.
Hot and powerful – what more could you ask for?
Consider buying our Diablo 3 Strategy Guide where we teach you exactly where you can find this sick loot and which items to use on your Wizard and what items are best sold for real money in the auction house.